Friday, April 19, 2013

Does money really matter?

     Here's a news flash: you're going to die some day. (I'm not trying to be morbid. Just hear me out.) And you're going to die whether you have a little money or a lot. And really, what is money anyway? Somebody said: What is being rich? Being rich is being able to do what you want all day.
     And somebody wrote: Money talks, but does it tell the truth?
     Yeah, I know all the cliches out there. 'I've been rich and I've been poor and rich is better.' They're a dime a dozen. And believe me I'm not rich. Not in money, that is. But my soul is rich. My life is rich. And it's rich because it has meaning.
     Meaning is money to me. To do what is the most deeply meaningful thing to me is riches. To me, I know that life is short. A Buddhist proverb says:

All must one day die. In him who knows this fact all strife is stilled.

     Steve Jobs said:

'Don't worry about risks. You lose it all in the end anyway.'

     And I can not stress enough that this is not a morbid way of looking at life. It's a wise way.
     If you live another eighty years it's going to go by in a flash. So do what's important to you now. Yes, find what's deeply meaningful to you and do it now.
     The poet Rimbaud wrote:

I can't afford to waste my time earning money.

     We need money to live. But more than money we need meaning. Money's nothing in the final analysis. It's a way to live, that's all. Find meaning in your life. Meaning is the real money of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by